FRONT PAGE CONTRIBUTOR
What We Can Learn From Newt Gingrich’s Shining Moment
You know who was money at the last GOP debate; the Great Green Newt. You know why? ‘Cuz he just jumped all over Juan Williams like a cheap, polyester Disco outfit. If you haven’t watched the YouTube of this, feast your very eyes!
Now; even if you have no intention of voting for Mr. Gingrich, watch this a 3rd time and learn how to tell the politically correct haters of free enterprise to go pound sand. I think four things from this response are useful in trending the American Zeitgeist away from the Left.
1) Newt refused to accept the implicit criticism of Conservatism lodged in Juan Williams’ loaded question. This is critical. Never let a Leftist preempt the logical category before the debate even starts. That is like playing a chess game where you voluntarily agree not to play with one of your bishops. Newt told Juan from Jump Street: “No, I don’t see that.” And also ”only the elites despise earning money.”
2) Newt found an articulate and entertaining way of turning around the name-calling and buzzwords.
Juan: “You saw some of this during your visit to a black church in South Carolina where a woman asked you why you refer to President Obama as “the food stamp president.” It sounds as if you’re seeking to belittle people.”
Newt: “The fact is that more people have been put on food stamps by Barack Obama than any president in American history. Now, I know among the politically correct you are not supposed to use facts that are uncomfortable.” (HT: Jim Geraghty, NRO)
3) Newt tied the issue directly to Barack Obama’s record in office. He showed how leading liberals talk the talk but never walk the walk on improving the lives of the poor and minorities.
Newt: “There’s an area on I-73 that was called by Barack Obama as an area of shame because of unemployment. Has it improved? No. They haven’t built a road, they haven’t help the people, they haven’t done anything.” (HT:Realclearpolitics.com)
4) Finally, he redirected Juan’s entire attempt at character assassination by redirecting the thrust of his answer into positive territory. One more hosanna for The Great Green Newt.
Newt: “One last thing. So here’s my point. I believe every American of every background has been endowed by their creator with the right to pursue happiness, and if that makes liberals unhappy, I’m going to continue to find ways to help poor people learn how to get a job, learn to get a better job and learn some day to own the job.”
So let’s break it down one more time.
1) Directly and emphatically refute the typical preemption of categories the Left likes to engage in. “No, I don’t agree telling a hard truth is racist, sexist, bigoted, small-minded, etc…”
2) Turn it around and call them on their BS. “The fact is that more people have been put on food stamps by Barack Obama than any president in American history.”
3) Tie the issue directly to a liberal in office. “There’s an area on I-73 that was called by Barack Obama as an area of shame…”
4) Give a positive alternative to the demoralizing and insulting Leftist fecal fertilizer. “You can own that job the way Newt just owned Juan Williams.”
Do those four things while in ideological combat with liberals and eyes will pop while heads explode. You can crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their metrosexuals. The Great Green Newt just showed us how it was done.