FRONT PAGE CONTRIBUTOR
New lows for Obama and ObamaCare
A new CBS News poll finds that approvals for both President Obama and his signature legislation, ObamaCare, have “plunged” to record lows.
Obama’s disapproval rating is now 57 percent. That is the highest disapproval the CBS News Poll has ever found for Obama. Worse, only 37% now approve of Obama’s performance as president. That is the lowest approval rating of his presidency, and down from 46% in October — a nine-point drop in just one month.
Obama’s approval rating dropped by 9% among men, 10% among women and by 11% among Independents.
Now that it is obvious that Obama lied when he promised over and over again that “if you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan,” Americans’ view of Obama’s honesty has also taken a hit:
During the presidential campaign last fall, 60 percent of voters said Mr. Obama was honest and trustworthy, but just 49 percent of Americans think that today.
As to the ever unpopular ObamaCare, the poll found Americans’ approval of the President’s heath care law has dropped to its lowest level since CBS News started polling on the law.
Sixty-one percent now disapprove of ObamaCare, including 46 percent who say they disapprove strongly. Only 31% of Americans now approve of ObamaCare — the lowest number yet recorded in CBS News Polls, and a drop of 12 points since last month.
No wonder Obama and his loyal Democrats have reversed course and again stopped referring to the so-called Affordable Care Act as ObamaCare.
Other interesting findings from the new poll include:
- Only 10% of Americans think the sign-up for the ObamaCare exchanges has gone well. Instead. More than two-thirds think it’s not going well – including 70% of those who have actually looked up information on the exchanges.
- Only one-third of Americans are confident that the federal government’s HealthCare.gov will be fixed by the December 1st deadline as promised by Obama. But more than half of Democrats are at least somewhat confident Obama’s deadline will be met.
- Forty three percent think ObamaCare needs to be repealed and another 48% think changes are needed to make it work better. Just 7% think ObamaCare is working well and should be kept in place as it is.
There is of course the usual partisan divide in the poll’s findings:
- Republicans are nearly unanimous in their disapproval of ObamaCare.
- More than two-thirds of Independents also disapprove of ObamaCare.
- Sixty eight percent of Democrats continue to support ObamaCare — down 16% from October.
The CBS News poll was conducted November 15-18, 2013. You can watch a Major Garrett discudss the new polls findings in the following video:
The results of the CBS poll confirm the similar results of a Washington Post/ABC News poll released Tuesday. That poll found that a record high of 55% disapprove of while only 42% approve. The ABC/ Washington Post More than 50% now say Obama is not a strong leader and is not honest and trustworthy.