Obama: Information Is Bad… MMMKay?
Mr. Mackey thinks drugs are bad and will tell you: “Drugs are bad… MMMKay?”
“Meanwhile, you’re coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don’t rank all that high on the truth meter. With iPods and iPads; Xboxes* and PlayStations*; information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment. All of this is not only putting new pressures on you; it is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy.”
I… Don’t know where to begin with this comment. Let’s try and break it down, shall we?
1) Ok, I agree with we are bombarded with information. If some poor sap sneezes, we will now know about it. Isn’t the future great? Where is my flying car?
2) From everyone other than FOX? Joking aside, if we have more sources of information, we can fliter out the lies and get to the truth. In fact this is working too well. People are starting to turn away from those sources that they have began to see as inaccurate or bias.
3) I still don’t understand what Obama has against iPods and iPads, other that he has no idea on how to use them. I mean, they are tools in which we get information. It would be like someone would say hate the book medium just because I don’t like what’s printed on them. And how did the poor Xbox and PlayStation get dragged into this speech?
4) Here Obama says “entertainment” using three different words, then utters the socialist term: empowerment.
5) My mind starts to melt under the stupidity of this last part of his comment. It is clear from this part that Obama thinks that too much information is a threat to the United States.
Seriously people, it is going to be hard to spin this any which way. I think the White House aid who can spin it, should get the rest of the year off with pay. All I know for sure is that my head is spinning and I think I am going to be sick.
*Alternate Title: Xbox And PlayStation Threat To Democracy