There's an article at Israel National News that pretty much sums up the deal with 'my people' and the big day.
I've not c/p'd any of the article text.
Except for one thing as a bit of expected-from-me snark at the very end, I'll not comment on any of the article text for a few reasons.
1. I'm not the 'practicing religious' type of person. My reasons are mine and mine alone.
2. I won't even pretend to be a practicing religious type of person.
3. The last time I set foot in a Synagogue was for my business partner's three daughter's Bat Mitzvahs in August of '09 (My business partner is "janiel_" here at Redstate). That was the first time in a temple for me in probably twenty years. I will swear to my dying breath when I first crossed the threshold to the sanctuary itself that morning, I definitely heard a deep booming voice coming from everywhere but coming from nowhere that said "What are you doing here ?" Nobody else heard it, but Janie understood. I made my peace with 'the voice' all through the ceremonies and am still doing so to this day.
4. I try and honor the significance of it all due to my belief in God, my upbringing and as a tribute to my parents who always did the same.
5. I don't eat during Yom Kippur - Usually make it the 25 hours no problem. But I do drink water..... I cannot allow myself to dehydrate again - I'll end up in hospital. Long story - multiple times of being dumber than a box of rocks - not connected with the holiday observance and not for telling here.
6. Yes, I contemplate the clouds many times over the day and it can get quite emotional.
I pray that everyone here at RedState, Jews around the world and Israel herself be placed in His book for a happy, healthy, blessed and truly peaceful new year and for millennia beyond.
PS........ I'll be around the computer all night and all day tomorrow........ I'm not the type to detach from a real world on the brink. At least one Jew here has to mind the store, eh ?
PPS (the snarkified me)......... Why do they call it a "fast" if it goes so slow ? ;)