The cure for sinking poll numbers - more lollipops!
And my very own newspapers!
If you get your news primarily from the typical newspapers and alphabet-soup TV networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, et al) then:
- Van Jones must be some kind of NBA center or NFL lineman, just like Johnny Malibu, Truck Johnson, or Tractor Traylor.
- The words ACORN, hidden cameras, underage prostitution, and tax cheating are not especially related to each other
- Republicans are racists because they oppose health care for poor people.
- People who protest are racists.
- But that didn't become true until this January.
- Democrats could get more done if those 40 Senators and 178 House Republicans would quit blocking everything.
- You hear the word teabagger in your dreams, and are unaware of a site called urbandictionary.com
- Honduras overthrew their president in a coup, but Obama is standing up to them.
- Hugo Chavez is misunderstood.
- All the world's thugs and dictators are now learning to appreciate how warm and fuzzy America is, and at any moment are about to break into Kum-Ba-Ya and will probably wish us Happy Winter Observance around mid-late December.
- America sucks, but Obama is changing that by apologizing to everybody, and fixing all the broken stuff like the banking industry, the auto industry, the health industry...and anything else he can get his hands on.
And because you are so well-informed, the government would like to make it so you are always that well-informed.
Conservatives have long known that the Democrats would love an excuse to subsidize the collapsing left-partisan newspaper industry. Readership has been dropping steadily for years, thanks to a relentlessly bitter left-wing news slant and the growing availability of alternate news sources. I realize the 'falling ad revenue due to everything moving to the web' argument gets used alot, but I tell you, I don't see the Washington Examiner, New York Post, and the Wall Street Journal yipping about declining revenues.
If you get my drift.
One of the remarkable things about this collapse of the bird-cage-lining industry is that in spite of readership vaporizing, and in spite of some pretty substantial evidence that their leftist political pitch is at least a factor, they refuse to moderate their tone. The decline in the evening news viewers on ABC, NBC, and CBS over a 10-year span is
AWESOME BABY rather drastic, and the corresponding numbers at FoxNews has risen to the point where they border on competitive with the broadcast networks.
Ideology may not be the whole reason but it is undeniably a part of it. Whether you think the Examiner and FoxNews are right-biased or now, it is a FACT that conservative viewers and readers can no longer tolerate the stench issuing from the NY Times, WaPo, CBS, and friends.
So the industry will not change in order to be profitable. And now Democrats are proposing to "subsidize" -- aka take over -- the industry, and Obama has expressed that he's "open" to it. That is code for "it was his ideal". We already have Government Banking and Government Motors. Now we can have the Government Press.
I bet that will result in a better product and more fair political representation.
Especially during election season.