Late last week, servers at Britain's Climate Research Unit, a part of the University of East Anglia, were hacked and over 172 megabytes of data dumped onto the internet for public access.The data paints an ugly picture of scientists operating as political hacks orchestrating smear campaigns against global warming dissidents, deleting files rather than make their data publicly available, and manufacturing data to prove their case when the actual data does nothing of the sort.The University of East Anglia has confirmed the authenticity of the documents. With that confirmation, we see global warming for what it is — a scam perpetuated by scientists intent on gaining access to money.Even the Washington Post has felt the need to cover this story. The Australian Herald Sun was one of the first to cover the story. They note:
The 1079 emails and 72 documents seem indeed evidence of a scandal involving most of the most prominent scientists pushing the man-made warming theory - a scandal that is one of the greatest in modern science. I’ve been adding some of the most astonishing in updates below - emails suggesting conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organized resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more. If it is as it now seems, never again will “peer review” be used to shout down skeptics.This is clearly not the work of some hacker, but of an insider who’s now blown the whistle.
Ed Morrisey, at Hot Air, and others have done significant digging into the emails and documents. The highlights are:
- Prominent environmental scientists organize a boycott of scientific journals if those journals publish scholarly material from global warming dissidents.
- The scientists then orchestrate attacks on the dissidents because of their lack of scholarly material published in scientific journals.
- The scientists block from the UN's report on global warming evidence that is harmful to the anthropogenic global warming consensus.
- The scientists, when faced with a freedom of information act request for their correspondence and data, delete the correspondence and data lest it be used against them.
- The scientists fabricate data when their data fails to prove the earth is warming. In fact, in more than one case, scientists engaged in lengthy emails on how to insert additional made up data that would in turn cause their claims to stand out as legitimate.
Andrew Bolt of the Australian Herald Sun has sifted through the emails and finds some surprises that, at first, he was not sure were authentic, but have now been confirmed to be authentic. One, from Kevin Trenbeth in Bolder, CO, to a group of fellow global warming scientists, admits "that [they] can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that [they] can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong."Another, from Professor Phil Jones at the Climate Research Unit, admits he "completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline [in global temperatures]."This is damning stuff.