Seriously, I’m Asking. What Is It With Hillary and Dogs? [VIDEO]
This is getting weird, you guys.Read More »
Back in the 60’s, people did things like get together and hammer out shared statements on unifying goals. In 1960, William F. Buckley and a group of likeminded conservatives, put together the Sharon Statement. Adopted on September 11, 1960, the statement provided a broad, general statement of principles around which conservatives could rally.The statement has stood the test of time.Today, fifty years later, conservatives are gathering at Mt. Vernon outside of Washington, D.C. to sign on to the Mt. Vernon Statement. I’m a signer and I’m out at Mt. Vernon today.This statement is not intended to replace or supplant the Sharon statement, which stands the test of time — including its statement on communism.The goal of the Mt. Vernon Statement is to provide a central platform around which social, economic, and fiscal conservatives can find common ground for the operation of government and society. The primary points are:
A Constitutional conservatism unites all conservatives through the natural fusion provided by American principles. It reminds economic conservatives that morality is essential to limited government, social conservatives that unlimited government is a threat to moral self-government, and national security conservatives that energetic but responsible government is the key to America’s safety and leadership role in the world.A Constitutional conservatism based on first principles provides the framework for a consistent and meaningful policy agenda.
- It applies the principle of limited government based on the rule of law to every proposal.
- It honors the central place of individual liberty in American politics and life.
- It encourages free enterprise, the individual entrepreneur, and economic reforms grounded in market solutions.
- It supports America’s national interest in advancing freedom and opposing tyranny in the world and prudently considers what we can and should do to that end.
- It informs conservatism’s firm defense of family, neighborhood, community, and faith.
These things seem like a no brainer, but the clarification of the statement should help mend fences on the right between groups who have for so long been natural allies.I’m happy to sign on behalf of RedState.