For the past several weeks I think I have laid out why Bob Bennett must go. For years, he has drifted left in Washington while portraying himself as a solid conservative back in Utah.Last night, after Jim DeMint dropped legislation to repeal Obamacare, Bob Bennett signed on. But Bennett will not renounce his support of Wyden-Bennett, which funds abortion, has an individual mandate, and which the Heritage Foundation and a host of conservatives point out is a terrible and unworkable bill.Bennett does the conservative dance, but his actions off the dance floor show him for who he truly is. Tomorrow, in Utah, Republican voters will go to their caucuses and become delegates to the state convention. If those voters do not give Bob Bennett 60% of the vote at the convention, he goes into a runoff with the next highest vote getter (after a few rounds to weed people out).If someone else gets 60%, that person becomes the nominee without a primary. I have endorsed and support Mike Lee in his effort to get to 60%. The key, however, is any of the challengers would be more acceptable than Bob Bennett.He makes great theater on the floor of the Senate pretending to be a conservative. Behind the scenes he sell out Utah and conservatives nationally. I think I have made a great case for opposing Bennett. Below the fold, I conclude with a host of votes from Bob Bennett — not just recent votes, but a long history of bad votes the voters of Utah probably have no idea about. We can see the real Bob Bennett through his crummy, anti-freedom and anti-life votes.Most troubling, we can see that when Democrats run the White House, Bob Bennett is all too willing to compromise in favor of the Democrats’ agenda. We need someone in that seat who will compromise for less government, not more.
Bob Bennett On Guns
- September 5, 1996 voted create a Federal offense to possess a gun within 1,000 yards of a school.
- May 13, 1999 voted to ban the importation of clips that hold more than 10 rounds.
- May 18, 1999 voted for mandatory triggerlocks.
- May 20, 1999, subjected pawn shops and repair stops to the same registration and background check requirements as dealers.
- May 20, 1999, voted for the anti-gun crime bill.
- February 26, 2004, voted for mandatory triggerlocks.
- September 9, 2009, voted for radical anti-gun “Regulatory Czar” Cass Sunstein.
- February 11, 1998, voted for anti-gun activist Margaret Morrow to the Federal Bench.
- May 13, 1999, voted to punish parents who allow a minor to handle a semi-automatic firearm.
- August 3, 1993 voted for Ruth Bader Ginsburg for the Supreme Court
- July 29, 1994 voted for Stephen Breyer for the Supreme Court
- October 2, 1998 voted for Sonia Sotomayor to be Circuit Judge.
- Authored health care legislation that provides mandatory coverage for same sex domestic partnerships.
- August 3, 1993, voted for Thomas Payzant, Assistant Secretetary for Elementary of Education. Payzant drove the Boy Scouts out of the San Diego schools due to their views on homosexuality.
- June 15, 2004 voted to add “sexual orientation” as a special class in the Federal Hate Crimes law.
- September 18, 1997 Voted against prohibiting the National Endowment for the Arts from funding obscene or anti-religious works with taxpayer dollars.
- May 24, 1993 voted for gay rights activist Roberta Achtenberg to be Assistant Secretary for Equal Opportunity at HUD. Achtenberg led several efforts to punish or the Boy Scouts for its policy on homosexuality.
- Authored health care legislation that includes abortion coverage.
- September 10, 2009 Voted for Cass Sunstein to be a Regulatory czar. Sunstein says “abortion should not be seen as murder of the fetus but instead as a refusal to continue to permit one’s body to be used to provide assistance to it.”
- September 13, 2000 voted against urging China to end its forced abortion policy.
- February 2, 2000 voted to provide special penalties in bankruptcy against pro-life protesters.
- February 18, 1993 Voted for taxpayer funded research using tissue from fetuses from elective abortions.
- February 11, 1998 Voted against a ban on human clonining
- July 18, 2006 Voted to allow taxpayer funding for stem cell research on human embryos.
- February 10, 1998 Voted for David Satcher for Surgeon General. Satcher supported partial birth abortion.
Bob Bennett has been as bad on the financial issues I previously listed as he is on guns and values.The evidence is clear. Bob Bennett must go.