The investigation into how the apparent redistribution of Chrysler dealer franchises we reported on here and here continues. Joey Smith, Gateway Pundit, Reboot Congress and Libertarian Republican are just some of the new media warriors on the case. What the intrepid bloggers are sifting through is the toxic fallout from the Obama administration’s journey to the dark side of corporatist policy – economic fascism:
From an economic perspective, fascism meant (and means) an interventionist industrial policy, mercantilism, protectionism, and an ideology that makes the individual subservient to the state. “Ask not what the State can do for you, but what you can do for the State” is an apt description of the economic philosophy of fascism.
Here’s what has been uncovered so far:
1. There are two published lists of Chrysler dealerships. One includes the 789 dealers which will be closed by June 9. Those dealers who will be able to retain their franchises and acquire the assets of closing dealers in their areas are on the other. Both are in .PDF format.
2. An attorney for closed dealers deposed Chrysler president Jim Press and said that his impression is that the decisions on which Dealers will stay and which will go really wasn’t Chrysler’s, as the company is under considerable pressure from President Obama’s automotive task force.
3. Many of the Chrysler dealers on the closing list were heavy Republican donors. Some are sitting congressmen.
4. Among the dealers which were selected to remain in business are a number of outlets owned and operated by a partnership which includes among the partners former Clinton White House chief of staff Mack McLarty and Robert Johnson, founder of Black Entertainment Television (BET). Both have strong Democrat ties. McLarty campaigned for Obama, and Johnson has contributed heavily to Democrats, including Obama.
5. The latest finding from the closure list is that there appears to be “an extremely high correlation between dealers closing and congressional districts BHO lost”:
Texas is getting killed and Blue States are sliding by. Florida is also taking major hits and nearly all are in Republican Congressional Districts.
Little West Virginia is getting hammered.
I will know much better when I start doing all the cross reference work after I finally get the data into Excel, but that is going to take time since the data has to be formatted up manually and there are over 2000 dealers involved between the two lists.
So far what I see smells big time.
There are many moving stories emerging from the list of targeted dealerships. Some have been handed down from family generation to family generation. Many have been saddled with large debts incurred from remodeling their dealerships and investing in large inventories of vehicles and parts, both at Chrysler’s insistence. Thousands of people, including managers, sales reps, technicians, parts specialists, cashiers and those who wash the cars and sweep the floors are losing their jobs at a time when President Obama tells us that he’s creating them. You can read these stories by following the links.
The evidence to to this point is anecdotal, but when all of the data from both lists have been put into spreadsheet format, the empirical evidence will emerge. Perhaps then even the Doubting Thomases and Thomasinas will find it to be as compelling as the anecdotal evidence is revealing.
Update: An evening update of the latest developments in Dealergate is here.