What We Lost With The Passage Of The Stimulus Package
Here is a little list:
- The ability to restore fiscal discipline, given that we passed a stimulus bill in the House that spends more than did the massive New Deal boondoggles of years past.
- The ability to have a separate and vigorous argument over education policy, given that federal education outlays have been doubled in the stimulus bill.
- The ability to have a separate and vigorous argument over health care policy, given that the states are receiving $87 billion in Medicare funds, and that Medicaid and SCHIP coverage is being determined through the stimulus bill.
- The ability to have a separate and vigorous argument over redistribution of wealth, given that the stimulus bill engages in redistribution.
- The ability to crack down on the culture of earmarks.
Sources are here, here, and here. These are the “good government” policies that were sold to us during the election?