Poor tactics, poor strategy: why this hawk is against Obama’s war
I’m a defense hawk and proud of it. I can recite the major events of WW2 and the Civil War forwards and backwards. I believe in spreading democracy and I believe that our armed forces are a great force for good in today’s world. I cheered when we went into Afghanistan, and double cheered when we toppled Saddam.
But I can’t cheer for Libya. It’s a stupid move that Obama made while vacationing in Brazil after being pushed around by Hillary. Let’s compare:
- Objective: topple the Taliban and kick out Al Qaeda.
- Situation: tribal society in civil war.
- Tactics: embed Special Forces with the Northern Alliance to direct devastating air strikes.
- Outcome: Northern Alliance captures Kabul within weeks.
- Objective: topple Saddam.
- Situation: military dictatorship with a large, loyal army.
- Tactics: prepare for months. Concentrate overwhelming military power. Shock and Awe!
- Outcome: Baghdad falls within weeks.
- Objective: topple Qaddafi. Oh no wait, protect civilians! Heck, let the French decide.
- Situation: tribal society, dictatorship, civil war.
- Tactics: destroy some of Qaddaffi’s hardware. Have Hillary beg his tribesmen to overthrow him.
- Outcome (so far): Putin is laughing at us.