After four years of painful “contractions”, the American voter has given birth to a lazy bum. That is the face of America now. At least 60+ million people are more interested in what the government can provide for them than even considering what they should provide for themselves.
Note the following from today’s headlines:
- 47 million Americans on food stamps
- A record number of American using food stamps to pay for Thanksgiving dinner
- The Obama Administration is now promoting welfare to legal and illegal immigrants.
Then you have people like the Obamaphone lady who said she is voting for Obama so she can get her Obamaphone.
It only gets worse from here.
- Record number of Americans (8.8 million) receiving disability with payments of $135 billion for this fiscal year. Approximately $11 billion more than the Defense Department paid to procure goods and services.
- 80.5 million Americans are already on Medicaid – 26.4% of the entire population. Wait until states with Democrat governors actually create the state health insurance exchanges and the massive expansion of Medicaid as required by Obamacare. This number will go up by at least 50%.
I wish I could stop, but that would do an injustice to the scope of the problem.
- Social Security – the oldest of all of the entitlement programs – has a litany of problems:
- Senior citizens’ benefits gone in 2035 – (44 million Americans)
- Disability benefits gone in 2016 – (11 million Americans)
- Funding for Medicare for seniors gone in 2024
Despite the grim outlook, there are people out there telling Americans to get what is theirs because they have “earned it”. The Democrats used it as a campaign ad in the Senatorial race here in VA. (This of course now includes immigrants who have not even paid into the system yet.)
Government “charity” began in 1965 with the “War on Poverty” started by the progressive Lyndon Johnson. Using 2008 dollars as a baseline, we have spent $16 trillion dollars on approximately up to 185 federal assistance programs over the course of that timeframe. What did we get for our money? We get progressives continuing to say that “it’s not enough” and that society needs even more.—Source
That is where we are at now. It is not enough. The American voter has decided that they want more “free stuff” and it is up to Obama to provide it to them. To give you an example of what people mean by “free stuff”, let’s remind everyone of what is offered to Greeks as part of their “well-earned” benefits:
- Unmarried or divorced daughters of civil servants can collect their dead parents’ pensions. (Those civil servants get to retire with a pension in their 40’s.)
- Civil servants receive the following bonuses: Using a computer, Speaking a foreign language, arriving to work on time, some get a bonus for working outdoors – even though their job requires them to work outdoors.
- Civil servants get an extra half-month’s salary at Easter and Christmas.
- Labor unions and their families get to fly for free
- Numerous people are employed by the government to do such wonderful things as manage Lake Kopais – which dried out in the 1930s.
- Of course, they have universal healthcare via an insurance mandate.
- The government owns 74 companies that are losing money “hand over fist.”
- (Note: Do realize that these are just a few examples.)
How many of these examples sound just like things Obama has promised voters if they were to re-elect him? Let’s redo this list with an Obama “spin”, shall we?
- Investment in “Green Energy” companies, ownership of GM, and the takeover of the student loan industry
- Government stimulus programs – A few examples of “shovel-ready” projects: Protecting a Michigan insect collection from other insects ($187,632), Oregon Federal Building’s “green” renovation at nearly the price of a brand new building ($133 million), Studying social networks like Facebook in North Carolina ($498,000), New hospital parking garage in New York that will employ less people ($19.5 million), Sending 11 students and 4 teachers from an Arkansas university to the U.N. climate change convention in Copenhagen, using almost 54,000 lbs of carbon dioxide from air travel alone ($50,000). (Yes, this is Obamanomics at its finest.)
- For the labor unions, Obama has provided $23 Billion for a Teachers’ union bailout, $8-$10 Billion in a bailout of unions which could go as high as $165 Billion (and do realize that these numbers are probably way out of date).
- As for perks given to civil servants, I could be here all day so I will provide you with only one example – the GSA Scandal where employees videotape themselves bragging about it and taking in $44 million in bonuses in 2011 all at taxpayer expense.
60+ million Americans are now trying to take what they think they are entitled to. With the reelection of Obama, Americans get the privilege of four more years so they can become just like Kelly Marshall from Britain. Let’s share her mentality on entitlements at the taxpayers’ expense:
- “I saved money from my benefits for four months to cover half the cost and put the rest on a credit card, which I pay back with my benefits.”…because as Kelly feels… “All mums should be able to have cosmetic surgery.”
- “I don’t care that it is at the taxpayers’ cost,” she told Closer magazine. “I am just proud of my looks and family – and it’s my decision what the money is spent on.”
- “My mum worked all her life and she paid taxes so I feel I am getting what I deserve…”
- “They only have three laptops between them so I might have to buy another one soon because they don’t like sharing.”
And she has no intention of ever working. Why should she? The government has indulged her every whim as she has given birth – almost singlehandedly – to another generation of dependence. How many Americans now feel the way she does? Why should I work if Obama is going to give it to me for free?
This is what Obama has promised – “if those who are well off only pay a little more…”
What happens when there are no people willing to pay? Do the people who have been taking are suddenly going to go back to work? No. They are going to demand that the government provide even more for them like petulant children, because they will be unable to provide for themselves.
I have seen this quote circulating around the Internet in the past few days.
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury…” – attributed to Alexander Fraser Tytler.
Is this not what we have now? Did Obama not promise “the world” in order to get re-elected? 60+ million Americans expect to be taken care of because they are too lazy to do it for themselves.
Since the majority of the American electorate is already like Britain, how long before we become just like Greece?