« BACK  |  PRINT

RS

EDITOR OF REDSTATE

Morning Briefing for November 3, 2009

RedState Morning Briefing
For November 3, 2009

———————————————————————-

1. Remember this data

The Obama administration and the media are together going to downplay today’s electoral victories for the GOP.They will, to the mainstream media, not be relevant to or any sign of a rebuke against Barack Obama and his far left agenda.In fact, the media is already beginning the narrative that we cannot see today as a referendum on Barack Obama.Consider these facts:New York 23

• Barack Obama sent Joe Biden to visit.
  • Obama’s White House negotiated Dede Scozzafava’s endorsement of the Democrat.
  • Scozzafava and Owens both supported and campaigned on supporting the stimulus.

New Jersey

• Obama sent his top pollster to take command of the race.
  • Obama visited multiple times, including the day before the election.
  • Obama is featured in most of Corzine’s advertising.
  • The Democratic Governors Association and DNC all pumped in a ton of money.
  • Corzine ran on helping Obama at the state level.

Virginia

• The Democratic Governors Association spent $4 million to get Creigh Deeds elected.
  • The Democratic National Committee spent $6 millino to get Deeds elected.
  • Obama campaigned for Deeds multiple times.
  • Organizing for America sent a mail piece to 300,000 “surge voters”, or voters who voted for the first time in 2008, urging them to vote for Deeds.
  • Organizing for America set up phone banks for Creigh Deeds.

The state owned media is going to tell us none of this matters and this was no rebuke of Barack Obama.Don’t believe it. The facts speak for themselves.Please click here for the rest of the post.

2. GTMO Terrorists Headed For South Carolina Under Pentagon Orders

James Galyean is a candidate running for South Carolina’s 3rd Congressional District. Prior to that time, Galyean was an Assistant United States Attorney and also has some pretty direct connections to the War on Terror.It was Galyean who helped helped write both the Detainee Treatment Act of 2005 and the Military Commissions Act of 2006. As a result, he has a bed of knowledge and massive amounts of contacts that others do not. And his contacts are telling him that, protestations to the contrary from the Pentagon, Barack Obama has every intention of sending GTMO terrorists to the Charleston, SC Naval Weapons Station.After all, South Carolina did not vote for Obama, so he sees no fall out in sticking terrorists there. But Galyean makes some pretty convincing points that this is a bad idea.Please click here for the rest of the post.

3. Joe Scarborough: How History Repeats Itself

There is something about New York’s 23rd Congressional District that reporters and the GOP establishment are ignoring. According to the PPP poll and the Sienna poll, Doug Hoffman is expanding the base of voters willing to vote for a conservative, not shrinking the base as the press alleges.In talking about this race this morning with Joe Scarborough on his radio show, he talked about the parallels to his race in 1994. Getting on Lexis-Nexis and doing some digging was an eye opening experience.It is also a powerful reminder for House Republicans wanting to take back the House that they are going to need to ignore the NRCC and instead go right where right can win.Please click here for the rest of the post.

4. John Cornyn Puts The Target On His Own Back

This is stunning hypocrisy.”The head of Republican Senate campaign efforts said late Monday that GOPers in New York’s 23rd district “[paid] the price” for picking a nominee in a hotly contested special election behind closed doors.”But wait . . . it gets better.Please click here for the rest of the post.

5. Wall Street Journal Editors Should Explain

In editorializing about Scozzafava’s collapse, the normally astute editors of The Wall Street Journal join the ranks of those chronically infatuated with equating the supposed extremism of the right with that of the left. This apples-to-oranges nonsense is made only worse by the editors’ absurd acceptance of the “litmus test” argument about supposed conservative rejection of those who don’t “agree with them on every issue.”Unfortunately, this kind of analysis is something that could be found in a not-so-good high school student newspaper, and is deserving of some questions for the WSJ editors . . .Please click here for the rest of the post.

6. Pelosi’s health care bill creates 111 new federal Obamacare bureaucracies

The House Republican Conference has compiled the following list of the 110 new Obamacare boards, bureaucracies, commissions, and programs created in H.R. 3962, Speaker Pelosi’s legislation for a government takeover of health care. . .Please click here for the rest of the post.

7. U.S. Tops in Energy Resources

The United States has largest energy reserves on Earth, according to a report from the Congressional Research Service.As shown in the charts below (click through), the U.S. has 1,321 billion barrels of oil (or barrels of oil equivalent for other sources of energy) when combining its recoverable natural gas, oil and coal reserves.While Russia is a close second with 1,248 billion barrels, other energy producing nations are far behind. No. 3 is Saudi Arabia (543 billion barrels), followed by China (494 billion barrels), Iran (426 billion barrels) and Canada (221 billion barrels.)Please click here for the rest of the post.

8. Introducing Angelo Maragos, Republican for New York City Council

Editors Note From Erick: I harp on this all the time. We have got to put down the keyboards and pick up the phones. Then we have to put down the phones and go out into the streets and make a difference. Francis has. I’ve asked him to write about it, and I hope you will take the time to jump through and read the whole thing. As an aside, I tell the tea party activists all the time that they have to put down the protest signs and pick up the campaign signs. This is what I’m talking about:I think of the RedState community as my extended family, and I’m grateful to all of you for reading my past missives on markets and finance. I’ve been all but absent from the front page for months now, and I owe you an explanation.Please click here for the rest of the post.

9. Liberal Fascism — Chapter 3

Chapter 3 of LIberal Fascism is the one I read over and over. I think it is a model of how Obama is going to operate and we should be mindful of it.The raw acquisition of power requires multiple outside and inside groups to help maintain that power.In Wilson’s case, it was rather eye opening. We certainly do think of all the progressive era ideals that Wilson helped advance up to and including the League of Nations.What I don’t think people realize is that Wilson jailed more people for merely dissenting against government than Mussolini did in a decade. All the things the left accused George W. Bush of doing or contemplating doing, Wilson, a Democrat, actually did.. . . .Next week, we’re into Chapter 4. Remember, use “Book notes” as your tag and we can track each other. Also, I’ll see about firing up our RedState Facebook Group for further discussion.Please click here for the rest of the post.

Get Alerts