In the Name of ‘Safety’
Senator Feinstein's Gun Ban Proposition
Senator Feinstein of California plans to propose legislation that would cripple and drastically alter our gun rights as defined in the Second Amendment.
Summary of 2013 legislation
Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:
Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans
Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons
Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
In the summary (listed above and here) on Sen. Feinstein’s website the legislation is said to have a stated goal of ‘strengthening’ the 1994 Assault Weapons ban and removing loopholes which have been worked out to allow more lax gun laws. Also notice the term derogatory term ‘legitimate hunter’ is given as if this is meant to weed out those who are not ‘legitimate hunters’. Over 120 specific firearms are banned and many others will be restricted. Magazines greater than ten rounds appear to be a great concern to these gun control advocates, while single shots are considered low priority at this point (next step is flintlocks, knives and archery weapons). As one Breitbart contributor wrote in an article, this would ban many of America’s favorite semi-auto handguns including Glocks, Smith & Wesson’s, etc.
Feinstein offers several articles and studies from various news services and research groups which are supposed to present documentation in defense of her legislation. She fails to let us know what a blow this is to our liberty and how it goes directly against the second amendment.
What would be Feinstein’s response to this video?
Would you like to give Sen. Feinstein some feedback on her proposal? You can find the phone numbers and emails for her California and Washington offices here, or comment on her Facebook page and send her a few tweets. Contact info for your Congress members is available here. Encourage them to fight this legislation.
Barack Obama chipped away at the first amendment in his first term. In this second term he and those in congress who back him are working together to neutralize our second amendment rights. Without the second amendment to protect us, all the rest of our Bill of Rights and our Constitution will be gone. Now is the time to stand for the rights our founders fought for.
“The Constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” – Samuel Adams
“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” -Thomas Jefferson