The President spoke at the National Defense University on Fort McNair. Not your typical Obama college rally, this was one of the most secure speaking events off Whitehouse grounds excepting the SOTU.
How did known heckler Medea Benjamin get in? She was invited.
Hat Tip @ernestine1006
The University has released a statement.
This speech was not open to the general public. Attendance for non-media was limited to invited guests from the National Defense University faculty, staff, and student body, along with those invited by the White House.
The statement also says
The individual who continued to attempt to interrupt the President’s speech at the
National Defense University was given access via the list of media attendees expected.
Personally I don't believe Medea Benjamin is a plant, or at least a known plant. I believe she, in her mind, was 'speaking truth to power'. My questions are how she got there and who knew?
- Who invited her?
- Who put her on the media list?
- Did they know she would heckle the President? (They did.)
- Did the media focused staff not review the media list?
- Who is in charge of compiling the media list?
- How did a known heckler get into the same room with the President without his staff knowing?
- If they did know, why did they not have her removed before the disturbance?
- Did they alert the President?
The security of the President is not political, it is paramount. This, like the Bush shoe throwing, is a failure of security and questions need to be addressed.