Life after Romney, life with Obama
Unlike other bloggers and pundits, I needed a full day to digest the news of this, I admit, deeply disappointing defeat. My first reaction, was thinking about the people I know who voted for Obama and saying to them, “do you honestly know and understand what you’ve done?” To borrow a phrase from Obama’s former pastor, Jeremiah Wright, “the chickens are comin’ home to roost.” For all of you who bought into the class warfare, tax the rich, fair share meme, I’ve got news for you. Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton, Eva Longoria, and all their fellow richies are doing just fine, and will continue to do just fine in Obama’s second term. It’s you, your children, grand-children who are going to take the tax hit coming soon to a paycheck near you in January 2013. Oh, and did you know, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, wants to raise the debt ceiling now to $18.8 trillion?
But it’s not only the Romney defeat that’s bothersome, Scott Brown lost to Elizabeth “Fauxcahontas” Warren in Massachusetts. Somehow, it seems fitting that the people of Massachusetts elected to Senator Ted Kennedy’s seat, a woman who spent her life gaming the system to get ahead by claiming to be what she was not, part Cherokee, and then practicing law without a license and being handsomely rewarded. The Massachusetts voters, probably the descendants of those who so strongly supported Teddy in his hours of inconsolable need after the Chappaquiddick/Mary Jo Kopechne death, (that went unreported by him until the following day) got exactly what they deserve.
Of course, Obamacare will now most likely be fully implemented. The unions that received waivers, courtesy of Ms. Sebelius and Mr. Obama, won’t feel the sting until 2018, but then many of their membership will be retired with their pensions by that time. However, they’ll still have to find doctors. Do you remember in one of the debates, when the President exemplified The Cleveland Clinic as a model hospital system under Obamacare? Tsk, tsk, the President doesn’t even know what’s in his own Bill. Under Section 6001 of Obamacare, physician-owned hospitals are illegal. “Section 6001 of the health care law effectively bans new physician-owned hospitals (POHs) from starting up, and it keeps existing ones from expanding. It has already halted the development of 24 new physician-owned hospitals and forced an additional 47 to struggle to meet the deadline to complete construction, according to the Physician Hospitals of America (PHA).” That section was a payoff to the American Hospital Assn., who didn’t like the competition, for their supporting Obamacare.
In summary, the people have spoken and we have a divided nation. President Obama received a little over 60 million votes, and Romney got 57.5 million. Obama’s core constituencies came through: the young 18-30, fueled by his appearances on The View, Leno, Letterman, the student loan interest freeze; women, fooled by Sandra, Lena, and Sandy and all that free contraception, abortion on demand; the Latino vote, in part bought by the Executive Order stopping deportation and giving visa permits to work; the Black vote, a given; and the unions, whose benefits and pensions I’ll be paying for until I die. As Marc Thiessen wrote today:
Exit polls show that by a margin of 52-43, Americans want less government, not more. By a margin of 63-33 they do not want to raise taxes to balance the budget. And by a margin of 49-45, they want Obamacare either partially or entirely repealed. None of those wishes will be honored. Instead:
1. Obamacare will now become a permanent feature of the American political landscape. It will never be repealed.
2. The unprecedented levels of spending in Obama’s first four years will become the new floor, as America sets new records for fiscal profligacy and debt.
3. Job creators will face massive tax increases, and more Americans will come off the tax rolls—resulting in fewer citizens with a stake in keeping taxes low and more with a stake in protecting benefits.
4. Government dependency, already at record levels, will continue to grow.
5. Four lost years in dealing with the entitlement crisis will become eight—digging us into a hole from which we may not be able to emerge.
6. Obama, unworried about the impact of gas and electricity prices on his reelection, will finally wage the regulatory war on fossil fuels the Left demands.
7. He will unleash the Environmental Protection Agency to impose crushing new burdens on U.S. business.
8. His administration’s assault on religious freedom will go on and expand to new areas.
9. The Defense Department will be gutted, with cuts so deep that America will no longer be a superpower.
10. Obama will almost certainly have the opportunity to appoint more liberal Supreme Court justices, possibly replacing conservatives on the high court — ending the Roberts court in all but name for a generation.
And that’s only the beginning. Welcome to Obama’s second term.
In closing, Chris Christie, enjoy New Jersey, because that’s where you’re staying, unless Obama offers you a Cabinet job. I’d take it. Closest you’ll ever get to the White House.
Cross-posted at www.political-woman.com