UPDATE(2): Santorum has won both Alabama and Mississippi---contrary to Drudge Report's Exit Polls that showed Romney walking away with both states.
Why I am Suspicious: I am an impatient person. I want to know results NOW. So on election days I have searched for exit poll data to give clues how the race is going. In every race to date, the only exit poll data that was available on Drudge (or elsewhere) was general information about what issues were important, etc. BUT NEVER actual race projections..UNTIL TONIGHT. I believe could have been an attempt by Drudge to surpress conservative voter turnout (I do not blame CBS, polls sometimes are wrong) But it is strange that the results of these exit polls was released.
Drudge is reporting exit polls that suggest Romney walking away with both Alabama and Mississippi. HOWEVER....
These exit polls indicate a big night for Santorum then Gingrich.....We will see what the truth is in a few hours. But
DO NOT LET DRUDGE REPORT KEEP YOU FROM VOTING. THERE IS A STRONG REASON (AS SHOWN BY EXIT POLLS BELOW) TO BELIEVE THESE REPORTS ARE WRONG AND IN FACT, THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE ACTUAL RESULTS.
Exit polling data is trickling in from Alabama and Mississippi, and it is showing just about what everyone expected: white, evangelical turnout is dominating the scene. Here are some numbers from CNN:
- In Mississippi, the voter ID breakdown is 80/17/4 (R/I/D). Among those 80% of Republicans, Santorum leads 34%-31% for both Gingrich and Romney.
- In Alabama, the ID breakdown is 66/28/6 (R/I/D).
- More than 40% of voters in MS self-identify as “very conservative”
- 81% of voters in MS and 73% in AL are evangelical.
- Voters in both states say the ability to defeat Obama is the most important quality in a candidate.
Update: In AL, 41% said they were ‘very conservative’. Those voters went 41% for Santorum, 36% to Gingrich, and 19% to Romney.