The Watercooler ~ Senate Amnesty Bill Contains Slush Fund for Pro-Amnesty Groups
Now that the real deal 844 page amnesty bill can be vetted, here’s a peek at just one more necessary (in the pro-amnesty camp’s eyes) evil it contains:
Buried within the Gang of Eight’s 844-page “comprehensive” immigration reform bill is a boon to the pro-amnesty lobby and immigration lawyers. Section 2537 authorizes the Director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, on behalf of the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, discretionary authority to award newly-created “Initial Entry, Adjustment, and Citizenship Assistance” (IEACA) grants to “eligible public or private, non-profit organizations.” (S. 744, at p. 384)
The IEACA grants “shall be used for the design and implementation of programs that provide direct assistance, within the scope of the authorized practice of immigration law” primarily to amnestied aliens throughout the “earned” path to citizenship. (Id. at p. 384-86) Specifically, this section identifies the following tasks grant money may be used for to assist illegal aliens seeking amnesty:
* “screening” applicant’s eligibility for RPI (Registered Provisional Immigrant) status
* completing applications for RPI status, green cards, or citizenship;
* compiling “proof of identification, employment, residence, and tax payment;”
* compiling “proof of relationships of eligible family members;”
* applying for all applicable waivers, and
* “any other assistance that the Secretary or grantee considers useful to aliens who are interested in applying for registered provisional status.” (Id. at p. 385)
The legislation, which was crafted behind closed doors in consultation with pro-amnesty special interest groups, appropriates $100 million for IEACA grants for the first five years and “such sums as may be necessary for fiscal year 2019 and subsequent fiscal years.”
Just a mere $100 million to be appropriated to assist people who came here illegally get comfortable. And that’s just for the first five years. God knows the real cost will grow and grow and grow.
The Watercooler is always an open thread.