It’s in Chapter 1 of Dickens’ “A Tale of Two Cities”, at the very beginning, that we are given a testament to an America Dickens could not possibly have foreseen when he wrote it. The now-famous quote eerily spells out, in fairly accurate detail, just where we find ourselves today living as the backdrop to an Obama-Biden dream world only they and their circle of elites are able to enjoy.
It is the best of worlds for those relentlessly enjoying posh vacations, or playing endless rounds of unaffordable golf at inaccessible (to most) country clubs, or keynoting speeches in the private homes of rich donors (scrambling Democrats at risk of losing their seats in Congress in tow, desperately hanging on to their coattails) while not being on any election ballots.
It is the worst of worlds for everyone else.
I came across this campaign ad from Sean Mahoney’s (R Cand. NH-1) website and it got me to thinking about Charles Dickens [full disclosure: I’ve gone on record in support of Mahoney in New Hampshire’s 1st Congressional District]. I kept thinking back to Obama’s promise of this summer being the “Summer of Recovery”, as I considered Mahoney’s suggestion that ours has been more like a “Cruel Summer” instead:
While Biden beclowns himself
and puts on display (what CATO is calling
) his “Fatal Conceit,” traipsing around the country with visions of sugar plums dancing in his head
, more of us are out of work, more of us are losing our homes, more of us are enrolling in the food stamps program (as Democrats sink their teeth deeper into its funding to pay for their whims of fancy), and more of us are miserable now than at ANY point during the Bush years. This is not a bright man, this Joe Biden…and all the while, he keeps telling us that a vote for a Republican is a vote for bringing back a bad re-run of George Bush’s America.
I’m not seeing the downside to that, by the way, however much Obama and Biden insist on telling us we’ll be worse off than we are now.
At a time when reliable national polling indicates that just under 30% of Americans believe we are going in the right direction, the Vice President is suggesting the other 70% of us don’t know what we’re talking about:
Biden conceded that the economic recovery was not proceeding as fast as the administration had hoped, but claimed there was “no doubt we’re moving in the right direction.”
Democrats might think we’re moving in the right direction, and 30% of “we, the People” might be interested in going along for that ride…but the rest of us out here living in the real world see things in a completely different light.
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way–in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.”
This country is in a mess of the Democrats’ making, and while they might cling to their ‘epoch of belief’ the rest of us are suffering their ‘age of foolishness.’