FRONT PAGE CONTRIBUTOR
Revisiting my Top Ten Media Truths List.
Short version: The Media hates you, and wants you to die in a fire.
Gotta put it up every four years or so, it seems. And this year no less than the others; more so, in fact. I feel that this list has held up rather well:
Ten Media Truths for Conservative/Republican Legislators
- The Media hates you, and wants you to die in a fire.
- The Media will only reliably compliment you when you do things to help liberals and Democrats.
- The Media loves it when you attack other conservatives/Republicans.
- You will never, ever, ever be able to reliably buy off the Media by being a ‘good’ (i.e., self-hating) conservative/Republican.
- Every flaw that you have – real or perceived – will be magnified by the Media. You will get no slack at all.
- Every flaw that your opponent has – real or perceived – will be downplayed by the Media.
- If you get an endorsement from a major Media source, it’s probably because your opponent was caught in a horrific scandal. So don’t count on getting that endorsement the next time.
- The Media has no shame, no sense of guilt, and no institutional memory of its own faults, flaws, and prejudices. Do not appeal to its better nature: the Media could care less about your opinion of it.
- Do not whine about any of this: the truth is, this unrelenting hostility from the Media will (if properly handled) simply make you an unstoppable political machine.
- Most importantly: THE MEDIA DID NOT ELECT YOU. The voters did. Keep that in mind when you’re working out your legislative priorities.
nd I know what you’re thinking: Donald Trump disproves this! No. Donald Trump is a temporary recipient of Media largess as per the dictates of Rule #2. If Donald Trump were to get the nomination, his free ride of publicity would immediately vanish, to be replaced with the most organized storm of negative stories that you will see in a generation.
Why? Ideology, of course. The Media loves good ratings, sure. They love the idea of Democrats controlling the White House infinitely more*. Particularly Democrats that like to hire big staffs, because Media tends to marry into the professional political class these days…
*If the Media didn’t, they wouldn’t largely ignore the opinions of roughly half the population when it comes time to plan out next quarter’s programming.