Military vehicle (APC) with connecting trailer. MRAP replacement design concept.
Introducing HUMPBAC – an armoured personnel carrier with a connecting doorway from the rear of the vehicle to walk through into the armoured passenger trailer. Tickets please!
Hinged Under-floor-Mine-Protection Battle-ready Armoured-personnel Carrier
Copyright © Peter Dow, 7th August, 2010.
- Trailer bolts firmly to the rim of the vehicle forming a rigid joint
- Rear section of vehicle is hinged to articulate the trailer’s vertical motion
- Movement of hinged rear section accommodated by a hump in the roof
- Vehicle rear door can serve as a connecting doorway to the trailer section
- Front vehicle seats a maximum of 11 people
- Armoured passenger trailer seats a maximum of 7 people
- Vehicle with trailer seats a maximum of 18 people
- Roof mounted remote-controlled machine guns- front, top & tail gun
- Trailer wheel steering
- 6-wheel drive
- Telescopic Rear Axle & Wheels
- Rotation on the spot
- Even axle weight distribution
- 5 : 3 weight & length ratio, 5 (vehicle) : 3 (trailer)
Wikipedia wrote: MRAP (armored vehicle)
Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles are a family of armored fighting vehicles designed to survive IED attacks and ambushes. IEDs cause the majority (63%) of US deaths in Iraq.
A June 13 report by the Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned indicated concerns about MRAP vehicles rolling over in combat zones.
The V-shaped hulls of the MRAP give it a higher center of gravity and the weight of the MRAP can cause the poorly built or maintained roads in rural Iraq or Afghanistan to collapse.
Of the 66 MRAP accidents between Nov. 7, 2007 and June 8, 2008, almost 40 were due to rollovers caused by bad roads, weak bridges, or driver error.
In many of the rollovers troops were injured, and in two separate incidents five soldiers have been killed by rolling over into a canal and getting trapped under water. The report said 75% of all rollovers occurred in rural areas often when the road is above grade and a ditch or canal full of water is next to it.