Stuck on Stupid: Obama and Ken Salazar to issue new drilling moratorium after first one is struck down
(H/T Hot Air)
Yeah, this pretty much sums it up visually.
Interior Secretary Ken Salazar says he will issue a new order imposing a moratorium on deepwater drilling after a federal judge struck down the existing one.
Salazar said in a statement Tuesday evening that the new order will contain additional information making clear why the six-month drilling pause was necessary in the wake of the Gulf oil spill. The judge in New Orleans who struck down the moratorium earlier in the day complained there wasn’t enough justification for it.
Salazar pointed to indications of inadequate safety precautions by industry on deepwater wells. He said he would issue a new order in the coming days showing that a moratorium is needed…
White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said President Barack Obama believes that until investigations can determine why the spill happened, continued deepwater drilling exposes workers and the environment to “a danger that the president does not believe we can afford.”
You know, I couldn’t have dreamed of a better way for the Obama administration to anger this judge to the maximum than by going this route. If Salazar wanted to provide additional information, this would be done in something called an appeal to the 5th circuit. This is a clear flipping of the bird to Judge Marty Feldman from the Obama administration.
So, in theory as Hot Air points out, they could make up as many new orders as possible. However, as one commenter on Hot Air points out, Judge Feldman could issue an injunction on all executive orders that establish a drilling moratorium. Better yet, you may see the oil companies who joined this suit to get the first order thrown out petition for an injunction of this nature. If they wanted to get really nasty, they could request that certain members of the defense be held in contempt of court. Now wouldn’t that be pretty?