A lot of energy is being expended by the NRSC and the various sociopaths it employs to drag septuagenarian Thad Cochran across the finish line in his primary battle with state senator Chris McDaniel. The latest contretemps is hard for the average citizen to fathom. Apparently there was a slow motion illegal entry by a blogger into a nursing home that houses Mrs. Thad Cochran. One that Thad Cochran’s campaign knew about at least two weeks in advance. You might be surprised to learn his wife is confined to a nursing home. Because if you Google “Thad Cochran + wife” you will find the image at the top of this story.
That woman is not Mrs. Thad Cochran.
That woman is his executive assistant (translation: a government employee on Thad Cochran’s office payroll) named Kay Webber.
She also happens to be Senator Cochran’s “landlord.” He lives in the basement of her house. That house is valued at nearly $1.7 million. More via Breitbart:
Sen. Thad Cochran (R-MS) lives in the basement apartment in a house owned by his executive assistant, Kay Webber, which he has listed as his primary address on official forms. Now public records show Webber accompanied Cochran on dozens of taxpayer-funded trips overseas.
According to the Congressional Record, where trip details including cost are listed, Webber has traveled with Cochran at taxpayer expense to 42 countries across five continents since 2002.
For example, Cochran and Webber traveled eight times to France, five times to Italy, four times to Israel, and twice to Japan.
The full list of countries they traveled to includes: Italy, France, Brussels, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Belgium, Hungary, Russia, Norway, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Malta, Austria, and Czech Republic in Europe; Colombia, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, and Chile in South America; Guatemala, and Mexico in North and Central America; Japan, China, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, the Republic of the Philippines, and South Korea in Asia; Turkey, Jordan, Israel, Azerbaijan, Oman, and United Arab Emirates in the Middle East, to Morocco; and Egypt, Cape Verde, and South Africa in Africa.
Other documents show that in 2005 and 2007, the Wine Institute, a trade association that represents the California wine industry, paid for Cochran’s and Webber’s travel to Sonoma, California for what a disclosure form described as “a fact-finding program on issues of importance to the wine industry.” No other aides attended the trip.
The Congressional Record lists 33 trips that Cochran and Webber attended together. According to that record, the cost to the American taxpayer of Webber’s travel was at least $155,000.
That is the issue this current nothingburger of a scandal being pushed by the NRSC is highlighting. It is interesting that the guy pushing this, a pencil neck named Brad Dayspring, has much closer ties to a pedophile than McDaniel does to anyone involve in this scandal.
What the voters of Mississippi should take away from this incident is several things:
- First. Thad Cochran has been an unfaithful husband and done so in an open and notorious manner not even rivaled by Bill Clinton.
- Second. While his wife was shut away in a nursing home in Mississippi he has lived with one of his staffers.
- Third. Thad Cochran is not a trustworthy man. Any man who would abandon his disabled wife and put his mistress on his office payroll brings us back to the days of Congressman Wilbur Hays who also put his mistress on his office payroll. Unlike Hays, Cochran will not be forced to retire into well deserved obscurity.
- Fourth. The men supporting Thad Cochran are men without integrity and without any sense of honor or proportion. They will do or say whatever they are paid to do or say. If that includes cavorting with peophiles and adulterers and spreading lies, they will do so — so long as their next check clears the bank. By using such scum, he has made himself vulnerable to the truth.
- Fifth. If Thad Cochran will toss his disabled wife aside for his own selfish pleasure and put his mistress on his payroll, what chance to do you, an anonymous taxpayer, have?
When all is said and done Mississippi voters have this choice. On the one had they have a career politician who no longer lives in Mississippi. A man who has abandoned his disabled wife and taken up with his mistress to the extent of living in her house and putting her on his payroll. On the other hand they have an honorable man, and a conservative, who in a worst case scenario went to a fundraiser hosted by a guy who knew the guy who illegally entered Ms. Cochran’s nursing home to document her abandonment by her husband. That is pretty close to a no-brainer for the normal person.
In a twisted sort of way, the NRSC has actually done Chris McDaniel a huge favor. It has cast the spotlight on Thad Cochran’s immoral and seemingly unethical behavior. And that is the issue that Mississippi voters will be focusing on.
Update: On the off chance that decades of open and notorious conduct are wrong and there is a completely innocent explanation, Senator Cochran should offer his story to a jury of randomly selected wives and see if they believe it.