Last night on AC360, John King filled in for Anderson Cooper and noted that a number of the Republican Presidential candidates are tempering their tone toward the Occupy Wall Street crowd. He asked if I stood by all my harsh words toward them. “Absolutely,” I replied. Part of the reason the candidates are toning down is because it is a good way to put more | Read More »
#OWS just letting *anybody* talk these days. If they’re Commies.
This video (via the PJ Tatler, to pick somebody for the honor) from the Occupy LA… whatever it is… has been making the rounds: For those without video access: it shows a Commie* haranguing the crowd about how socialism is great, and how nonviolent revolutions pale in comparison to the bloody ones. I am almost impressed, to be truthful; even among the American Left it | Read More »
Greed & Hippies Properly Understood
About the only thing these hippies, hipsters, senior citizens who never grew up, and college trust funders out protesting can agree on is that greed is bad. They want the whole capitalist system pulled up by the root and replaced with something else because of greed. What they either do not understand or choose to ignore is that greed is not a capitalist invention. Greed | Read More »
The “Why this ‘human microphone’ thing is a BAD idea.” Morning Open Thread.
I don’t care how much the practice makes people feel taken out of themselves and brought into the comforting embrace of the Collective Struggle Community – or whatever the buzzwords are – we have something called the ‘Internet’ now, and things that seem perfectly reasonable at the moment can give a completely different impression when captured by the uncaring eye of the camera. Original video | Read More »
Koch, the Democrats, the Hippies, and Hypocrisy
The Democrats, rallying to the hippies occupying various streets around the country, have seized on a Bloomberg News story about Koch Industries doing business in Iran. The Democrats want every Republican who has ever taken money from the Kochs to give that money back. Except there are a few problems. Such as, other than it being a political hit against some right-of-center billiionaires, the story | Read More »
The Left’s protest trap.
(H/T: Instapundit) The Economist has the right idea about the problem that the Left is having right now: The other reason to doubt whether Occupy Wall Street will become a tea-party movement of the left is its fixation on protest. But Zuccotti Park is not Tahrir Square and America is not Egypt. It is not even France. In France street demos are tolerated, sometimes glorified, | Read More »
NY-08′s (D+22) #OWS NIMBYism.
(Via Hot Air Headlines) It would seem that the people who actually live and work in NY-08′s Eighth District (epicenter of the “Occupy Wall Street,” or “OWS,” protests, at least according to this map) are getting sick and tired of the dirty filthy hippie freeloaders: Panini and Company Cafe normally sells sandwiches to tourists in Lower Manhattan and the residents nearby, but in recent days | Read More »
Undercover at #OccupyCleveland
[promoted from the diaries] On Thursday, a friend and I made the trip to downtown Cleveland to check out the #OccupyCleveland protest. The Facebook page predicted there would be 800-ish people attending, but the actual number on opening day was closer to 200. We dressed to blend in with the crowd so we could fully embrace the experience, spending the better part of the day with | Read More »
Are these the first #occupywallstreet -inspired death threats?
Maybe: Several influential New York state lawmakers have received threatening mails saying it is “time to kill the wealthy” if they don’t renew the state’s tax surcharge on millionaires, according to reports. [snip] The email references terminology that has been used in the “Occupy Wall Street” movement — that the1 percent, the super rich, are exploiting the remaining 99 percent of Americans. The angry message | Read More »