Fake News Takes a Punch to the Face: CNN Surrenders to Nick Sandmann's Lawsuit

[Screenshot from NBC News, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN_Ze2VqZ3Q]

 

 

The saga continues: According to Cincinnati’s Fox19, wrongly-derided Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann has received a settlement from CNN for its part in the 2018 Fake News extravaganza.

Here’s Fox:

CNN agreed Tuesday to settle a lawsuit with Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann. The amount of the settlement was not made public during a hearing at the federal courthouse in Covington.

And there are potentially many more undisclosed amounts where that came from: Nick’s attorneys also filed suits against NBC Universal and The Washington Post, and he’s he’s purportedly eyeing claims against Enquirer owner Gannett.

The suit against CNN — submitted by lawyers Lin Wood and Todd McMurty — demanded justice to the tune of $275 million through the U.S. District Court in Kentucky’s Eastern District.

Last year, Lin described to Fox News the network’s expensive role in the smear:

“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. And CNN goes into millions of individuals’ homes. CNN couldn’t resist the idea that here’s a guy with a young boy, that Make America Great Again cap on. So they go after him.”

For those of you who’ve forgotten the meaty impact of the baloney story — that a group of racist kids had harassed an innocent American Indian man — enjoy a few reminders:

Soon-to-be fired Vulture journalist Erik Abriss leapt onto the pile with these two beauts:

“I don’t know what it says about me but I’ve truly lost the ability to articulate the hysterical rage, nausea, and heartache this makes me feel. I just want these people to die. Simple as that. Every single one of them. And their parents.”

“‘Racism is in its Boomer death throes. It will die out with this younger generation!’ Look at the sh*t-eating grins on all those young white slugs’ faces. Just perverse pleasure at wielding a false dominion they’ve been taught their whole life was their divine right. F***ing die”

Here’s how RedState’s Jeff Charles recently characterized the snafu:

These supposed junior KKK members, sporting MAGA hats, were filmed viciously berating and mocking Nathan Phillips, a Vietnam veteran who just wanted to play his drum. In fact, Phillips told The Washington Post that the Nazis-in-Training “wouldn’t allow him to retreat.”

The full video was released by the Black Hebrew Israelites who were actually responsible for starting the altercation in the first place. Only a few days later, the nation knew that it was Phillips who approached the kids while the Black Hebrew Israelites hurled racial and homophobic slurs at them.

Back to Lin Wood:

“[I]f you took the time to look at the full context of what happened that day, Nicholas Sandmann did absolutely nothing wrong. He was, as I’ve said to others, he was the only adult in the room.”

Around the same time, attorney Todd waxed to FNC on CNN’s victimization of Nick:

“Well, we’ve talked about the impact the impact on Nicholas Sandmann a number of times and it — it is significan. Nicholas Sandmann was a 16 year old man who had a perfect reputation. He was loved by his parents, respected at his school, and had many good friends at Covington Catholic High School. So he was a person that was doing very well in life and due to his strong character, he still is. But never the less, his character has now been determined by the lies issued by CNN. So the facts were not first, the lies were.”

Thanks to the settlement, Nick may have the money he needs to buy pants with bigger pockets — he’ll wanna go ahead and do that, because he’ll need a place to put the cash that once belonged to CNN.

But he might wanna go extra-large with those — maybe some 90’s-style ravers: Last February, Sandmann’s legal team released a list of those they may sue, which included 54 entities — see ’em all here.

And stay tuned for more.

-ALEX

 

My relevant RedState links in this article: here.

See 3 more pieces from me:

Kentucky Federal Judge Reverses Course on Nick Sandmann’s $250 Million Lawsuit Against ‘The Washington Post’

IT BEGINS: In Nathan Phillips Aftermath, Covington Family Hires Power Attorney; Diocese Apologizes

Trump Champions the Revitalization of Nick Sandmann’s $250 Million Lawsuit Against ‘The Washington Post’: ‘Go Nick!’

Find all my RedState work here.

And please follow Alex Parker on Twitter and Facebook.

Thank you for reading! Please sound off in the Comments section below.