Covering the connection of DC politics and Hollywood entertainment where they contribute to our culture.
It was a week where we combed through a fair share of unearthed details. Whether it was documents (those dacted, and/or re-dacted) from the Trump-Russia FISA warrant, or the decades-old tweets from a filmmaker costing him his job, there was a decent amount of dirt to look into.
As usual the outrage mobs were also in full swing, on both sides of the political fence. The contemporary practice of shaming opponents with older social content is becoming the newest digital parlor game.
THIS WEEK’S THEME: “Kids” MGMT
- The FISA application report came out and basically proved what a sham the process has been. Of course it has stopped exactly NOBODY from shrieking about the Russians.
- James Gunn was fired from “Guardians of the Galaxy 3” by Disney over 10 year old Tweets. Hollywood goes on a deletion storm.
- Just as entertainers were outraged by an alt-right attack on Gunn they acted the same way. Mark Duplass was attacked and forced to apologize — for being nice and suggesting people listen to Ben Shapiro.
- In Seattle they are mad at Amazon — for employing a crap-ton of people and helping them afford housing, without resorting to socialism to do so.
- In San Francisco, while complaining about foreign influence in our elections, they are issuing voter registrations to non-citizens.
- Movie Outrage of the Week: The Rock was offensive in “Skyscraper” for portraying a disabled character and NOT being disabled.
MHSS TWITTER MOMENT OF THE WEEK
A 25’ statue of Jeff Goldblum suddenly appeared near The Tower of London. People flocked to take pictures with it, even though it is not the most tasteful of poses for art. (For the record, it commemorates the 25th anniversary of the release of Jurassic Park for a British cable channel.)
Jeff Goldblum recalled thinking “What the devil is that?" when he first saw the statue https://t.co/62DJMGdKws
— Variety (@Variety) July 24, 2018
Then a golf clap goes out to this account for nailing the theme perfectly:
This will be the Jeff Goldblum statue next week pic.twitter.com/ChAhmCLuH7
— Тrudi (@Trudski2012) July 19, 2018
for more insightful ridiculousness, follow us: