The below letter was sent November 30 to all U.S. Senators and Representatives. I drafted it with some edits by Colin Hanna. It was sent out through Coalitions for America. Colin Hanna is CFA President, and I am CFA Vice President.
November 30, 2012
An Open Letter to U.S. House and Senate Republicans
Dear Republican U.S. Representatives and Senators:
You are entering into a period of testing.
In the House, the nation elected in 2012 one of the largest Republican majorities in the past 100 years. You have a mandate to fight for conservative principles that is arguably much broader than the one that narrowly reelected President Barack Obama claims to have for his leftist agenda.
Of course, House Republicans alone cannot pass a law, but united you can stop any bill which violates the principles you publicly committed to support.
In the Senate, you have more than enough Republicans to prevent the passage of anything truly harmful to our country.
Nevertheless, you are already being pressured to abandon the principles voters elected you to uphold.
The major news media, Democrat politicians, liberal interest groups, and even some weak-kneed Republicans are demanding that you not use the powers given to you by the electorate to stop the power-grab agendas of President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
The Democrat leadership does want to “fundamentally change” America.
They want to increase federal power, federal spending, federal taxes, federal deficits, and federal debt. They want to give more advantages to their liberal allies and put more federal money into the pockets of their political cronies.
They want to undermine further traditional values and to surrender more of our national sovereignty to international bodies.
They want to weaken our country militarily and move America more rapidly in the direction of European socialism.
Their entire leftist agenda opposes the principles on which you ran and the principles of the millions of people who elected Republicans to Congress.
And now we count on you to stop them. Nobody else can stop them but you. You have the power, if you will use it.
The whole leftist apparatus is gearing up to panic you and to force you to cave in. Don’t do it.
All of them, the liberal Democrats, the labor unions, the leftist ideologues in the so-called “progressive” movement, and their allies in the print, broadcast, and online media will try to convince you that your political careers will be over if you don’t cave in.
Let us remind you that these same people have always tried to defeat you — yet you won election.
Whether your resistance to their current power grabs collapses or not, they will work just as hard to defeat you next time. But if you are seen to cave in now, next time they will be stronger.
And if Republicans cave in now, when it really counts, next time you will be weaker, because your conservative base will be outraged. Many who worked hard to elect you in the past will never lift a finger for you again.
There are two ways President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reid could get what they want out of the Congress now.
First, just enough Republicans could vote with the Democrats and against most other Republicans to pass what Obama, Pelosi, and Reid want passed.
Second, the Republican leadership could negotiate a “deal” with the Democrats and take most Republican Representatives and Senators with them.
Either of those two courses would be a disaster for conservative principles because they would result in permanent advances for the “fundamental changes” the left wants to impose on our country.
Let us also remind you that a great many potent conservative organizations and millions of conservative and liberty-loving voters do not believe in the divine right of incumbents to be re-nominated. Conservatives know how to recruit and support candidates.
In recent election cycles the left has virtually eliminated “moderate” Democrats from the Congress. And you have no conservative Democrat colleagues at all.
At the same time, those election cycles have resulted in the nomination and election of fewer and fewer Republicans who play footsie with liberal Democrats.
In the Republican Party, conservatives dominate the primaries more and more, a process almost certain to continue.
Not only do you now have one of the biggest House Republican majorities in the past century, in the Senate, you have 45 Republicans, more than enough to stop many bad decisions there.
Suppose just enough Republicans cross the aisle to provide Democrats a majority in vitally important legislative battles now upon us. They will find themselves, come election time, the targets of both liberal Democrats and conservative Republicans, which isn’t likely to be healthy for their political careers.
Suppose, on the other hand, that the congressional Republican leadership negotiates a “deal,” a “compromise,” with Obama, Pelosi, and Reid.
The historic record of such deals shows that the Democrats usually clean the Republicans’ clocks.
You will remember that, with all good will, President Reagan and then the first President Bush made deals to support some tax increases in return for Democrat promises to cut spending even more. In both cases, the new taxes were quite real, but far from cuts in spending, spending increases followed.
Right now it is generally but incorrectly believed that Republicans aren’t able to negotiate from a position of strength.
Of course, this time every element of the left will be in full-throated roar, yelling that the country will collapse if Republicans don’t give in to their demands.
There is some danger that the congressional Republican leaders will decide to accept whatever deals they can get, which might mean that Democrats get real gains and Republicans again get empty promises. Or Democrats would get permanent changes and Republicans would get changes easily reversed by a future Congress.
If such deals are made, conservative organizations and conservative and liberty-loving voters would see that the current leadership is not an acceptable alternative to the left. Conservatives would then likely repeat what they did in the 1970s, when they systematically and successfully undertook a multi-year effort to replace Republican congressional leadership.
With President Obama in office for another four years and his leftist appointees working tirelessly to implement the left’s agenda, there is a virtual certainty that the economy will not have a significant recovery. More likely the country will suffer a continuation of Obama’s permanent recession.
Yes, this is a time of testing for you.
If Republicans provide a consistent, conservative alternative, the time will come, probably sooner than later, when most Americans will become fed up with the left’s failed agenda and be ready for a change to “throw the bums out” and restore limited, Constitutional government.
So it’s in the interest of the country and in your personal interest for you to use the power you unquestionably have now to stand firm and not surrender your conservative principles, no matter how loud the clamor of people whose central interest is to advance the left’s agenda.
(A complete list of conservative leaders who signed this letter will be added soon.)
(Affiliations for identification only)
- Morton Blackwell, Chairman, The Weyrich Lunch
- Colin Hanna, President, Let Freedom Ring
- Ed Meese, Conservative Action Project
- Jim Martin, Chairman, 60 Plus Association
- Phyllis Schlafly, President, Eagle Forum
- Erick Erickson, Editor, RedState
- T. Kenneth Cribb, Jr, National Conservative Campaign Fund
- Brent Bozell, President, ForAmerica
- Tom McClusky, Sr. Vice President, Family Research Council Action
- Hon. James S. Gilmore III, President Free Congress Action
- Gary Bauer, President, American Values
- Michael Farris, Chairman, Home School Legal Defense Association
- Preston Noell III, President, Tradition, Family, Property, Inc.
- Penny Nance, CEO and President, Concerned Women for America
- Shari Rendall, Director of Legislation & Public Policy, Concerned Women for America
- Richard Viguerie, Chairman, ConservativeHQ.com
- Al Cardenas, Chairman, American Conservative Union
- Ken Blackwell, Chairman, Ohio Faith and Freedom Coalition
- Foster Friess (WY)
- Tim LeFever, Chairman of the Board, Capitol Resource Institute
- David N. Bossie, President, Citizens United
- Frank Cannon, President, American Principles Project
- Susan Carleson, President American Civil Rights Union President, Carleson Center for Public Policy
- Lori Roman, Regular Folks United/Rosies Project
- Amy Ridenour, President, National Center for Public Policy Research.
- Mark Fitzgibbons, American Targeting Advertising
- Seton Motley, President Less Government
- Ginni Thomas, Liberty Consulting
- Phil Kerpen, President, American Commitment
- Cindy Chafian, President, The Mommy Lobby
- Bob Reccord, Executive Director, Council for National Policy
- Jim Backlin, Christian Coalition of America
- Amb. Hank Cooper, Former SDI Director
- Rick Scarborough, President, Vision America
- Reverend Lou Sheldon, Founder and Chairman Traditional Values Coalition
- Andrea Lafferty, President, Traditional Values Coalition
- Nina May, Chairman, Renaissance Women, Renaissance Foundation
- Joseph Farah, Editor and Chief Executive Officer, WND.com and WNB Books
- Dr. Jim Garlow, Chairman, Renewing American Leadership Action
- Mathew Staver, Chairman, Liberty Counsel
- Deryl Edwards, President, Liberty Counsel Action
- Mandi Campbell, Legal Director, Liberty Center for law and policy
- Rod D. Martin, Chairman, The Vanguard Project
- Kay R. Daly, President, Coalition for a Fair Judiciary
- Tim Echols, Chairman, Georgia Public Service Commission
- Elaine Donnelly, President, Center for Military Readiness
- Michael Centanni, Chairman, Freedom’s Defense Fund
- Ted Baehr, Movieguide
- Kristan Hawkins, President, Students for Life of America
- Larry Cirignano, Faithful Catholic Citizens
- Stu Epperson, Salem Communications Corporation
- Floyd Brown, President, Western Center for Journalism
- Cullen Davis, Ken W. Davis Foundation
- Ken Timmerman, 2012 Republican Candidate for Congress (MD-08)
- Richard W. C. Falknor, Chairman, Maryland Center-Right Coalition
- John Kwapisz, Washington Liaison, American Council for Immigration Reform
- Wes Vernon, RenewAmerica.com
- Somers H. White, President, Somers White Co., Inc.
- Roy Stringfellow, M.D., Advanced Gynecology, LLC
- Cathie Adams, President, Texas Eagle Forum
- Tammy Kobza , Iowa State Director, Iowa Eagle Forum
- Jim Treat, Chairman, BV Tea Party Patriots
- Becky Gerritson, President,Wetumpka TEA Party of Alabama
- Robert K. Fischer, President, Fischer Furniture, Inc.
- Tina J. Benkiser, Attorney & Counselor at Law, Fr. Republican Party of Texas Chairman
- Kirk Elliott, Ph.D., TodaysAmerica.com
- Dee Park, Chair, Moore TEA Citizens (NC)
- Suzanne (Zan) Green, Founder, Rainy Day Patriots
- J. Keet Lewis, Texans for Conservative Principles PAC
- Joshua Charles, Rediscovery Project, William Jessup University
- David Y. Denholm President Public Service Research Council
- Harold Sorensen Americans Must Investigate Public Servants
- Lisa Becker, President, Liber8Congress
- Jodi McDade, Member Alabama Republican Party Executive Committee
- Lee A. Beaman Entrepreneur, Nashville, Tennessee
- Joseph Schwartz, North Woods Patriots (WI)
- Kim Simac President, North Woods Patriots (WI)
- Kirsten Lombard, Organizer, The Wisconsin 9/12 Project
- Seth Morgan, Former State Representative (OH), Board Member of Citizens for Community Values
- Sidney E. Johnson, M.D. Member Wood County Republican Party Member Central Wisconsin Tea Party
- Ron Hei, Common Sense Tea Party Patriots of Covington County, AL
- David Cook, DCC, Inc.
- Tricia Erickson, Angel Pictures & Publicity
- Dale Beach, Montgomery Tea Party Patriots (AL)
- Sharon Glass, President, Santa Rosa TEA Party President
- Sidney E. Johnson, M.D., Member, Wood County Republican Party Member, Central Wisconsin Tea Party
- Becky Hall, President Northern Liberty Alliance(Northern Minnesota/Wisconsin)
- Donna Hearne
- Peggy Dau
- Peter Weyrich(VA)
- Mr. Jeffrey l. Kirschmann
- Janice Shaw Crouse, Ph.D, Beverly LaHaye Institute
- Jeff Gayner, Chairman, Americans for Sovereignty
- Ron Pearson, Council for America
- Dr. Day Gardner, President, National Black Pro-Life Union
- Kevin L. Kearns, US Business and Industry Council
- Rich Bott, President, Bott Radio Network
- Dick Bott, Chairman, Bott Radio Network
- Gary Aldrich, President, Patrick Henry Center for Individual Liberty, Chairman of the Board, Council National Policy
- Gary A. Marx, Executive Director, Faith & Freedom Coalition
- Tim Macy, Vice Chairman, Gun owners of America
- Bradley Mattes, Executive Director, Life Issues Institute
- Dianne Edmondson, Executive Director, Republican National Coalition for Life
- Keith Mason, President, Personhood USA (CO)
- Richard Ford, Heritage Alliance
- Jason Jones, President , Movie to Movement
- Melissa Ortiz, Ms. Wheelchair NY 2005 Founder & Principal Able Americans
- Jim Simpson, Freelance Investigative Journalist
- Terri L. Burl Forest County Republican Party Media
- Liz Reiten Chair of the Florence County Republican Party
- Chris Martinson Secretary, Wolf River Area Patriots (WI)
- Penna Dexter, Co-Host, Point of View Radio Show
- Todd Dexter, President, Todd Dexter & Associates
- Donald Gaines, Founder & Local Coordinator, Covington County Tea Party Patriots (AL)
- Mike Diggs, Tea Party Patriots of North Alabama
- Seth Cowan, President, Wolf River Area Patriots (WI)
- Karen Schroeder, President, Advocates for Academic Freedom
- Troy Newman, President, Pro-Life Nation
- Penna Dexter, Radio Host
- Bob Ellis, American Clarion (SD)
- Judson Phillips, Founder, Tea Party Nation
- Kelly G. Berry, President, The Madison Institute Association
- Mark D. West, President, Chattanooga Tea Party (TN)
- Dave Kramer, Dubuque County Tea party (IA)
- Jerry A. Johnson, President, Criswell College
- Bobbie Patray, President, Tennessee Eagle Forum
- Daniel J. Stafford, Representative, Walton County Patriots, Florida
- Ken Settle (WI), Northwoods Patriots of Eagle River
- Dr. Terry B. Batton, Founder and President, Barbour County, Alabama Tax Enough Already Party
- Kirk Hays, North American Jet
- Tearlach F. Sinclair, Menominee County ACE American for Constitutional Enforcement (ACE)
- Jeffery Horn Prairie Patriots (WI)
- Dan Curan
- Jim Coursolle (WI)
- Ellen Grigsby
- Dr. William Greene, President, RightMarch.com
- Dr. Shelli Jones Manuel, CEO: Harvest Projects International Inc., CEO: Resurrect America Show
- Bud LaCoy, Americans for Constitutional Enforcement, Marinette County