Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got… well, I’m in a place where my sharp tongue does me no favors despite hours of trying, so I decided it was best after all this delay to skip a Feature topic, get through the weekly formalities and go straight to the Open Thread.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 12/10: Jay elected Continental Congress’s president, 1778; treaty ends Spanish-American War, 1898; Ford’s one-millionth car built, 1915
- Monday, 12/11: Skirmish with Cornwallis delays Washington’s march to Valley Forge, 1777; Buffalo Bill’s first show, 1872; Hitler declares war on U.S., 1941
- Tuesday, 12/12: Pennsylvania ratifies Constitution, 1787; Boys Town established, 1917; Japanese sink USS Panay, 1937
- Wednesday, 12/13: Massachusetts organizes first militia, 1636; Battle of Fredericksburg, 1862; Gore FINALLY concedes, 2000
- Thursday, 12/14: Alabama statehood, 1819; first Pacific telegraph cable laid, 1902; Cernan leaves last footprint on moon, 1972
- Friday, 12/15: Bill of Rights becomes law, 1791; Battle of Nashville, 1864; Gemini 6A and Gemini 7 perform first space rendezvous, 1965
- Saturday, 12/16: Boston Tea Party, 1773; Great White Fleet sets sail around the world, 1907; Battle of the Bulge begins, 1944
Today’s Birthdays: First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln, 1818; Medal of Honor awardee Alvin York, 1887; economist-statesman George Shultz, 1920; actor Steve Buscemi, 1957; singer Taylor Swift, 1989.
Holidays Around the World: It’s Acadian Remembrance Day. Poland observes Martial Law Victims Remembrance Day, China has Nanking Massacre Memorial Day. Malta celebrates Republic Day, St. Lucia has National Day, and Brazil commemorates Sailor’s Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for an SCCY CPX-3 .380ACP or Glock 19 Gen 5 9mm pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a Devil Dog Arms RIS-15 AR-pattern rifle, Canik TP9 SFx 9mm, CZ-USA P-10C 9mm, or Auto-Ordnance 1911BKOW WWII-style .45 pistol package: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Colt Competition Government fullsize or Defender compact 1911-pattern .45 pistol: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- *Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/7qpt6jv
- GrabAGun, for a Henry Golden Boy .357 Magnum lever-action rifle: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
- Springfield Armory, for assorted XD and 1911 pistols and SAINT 5.56mm AR15 pistols and rifles: http://www.springfield-armory.com/resources/giveaways/
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
Quotes of the Day
“You voted for poop, now shut up and eat your poop-cake.”–Larry Correia
“There are those who would rather see MacArthur lose a battle than America win the WAR.”–Douglas MacArthur
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.”
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.”–Voltaire
Copyright Diamondback, 2017; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState or its affiliates, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY.