Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got…
- One million miles on the road, accident free? A Cleveland bus driver’s done it.
- Pro Tip: If you’re gonna Pop The Question to a mom with her child… make sure the little one’s made a pit-stop first.
- Not quite ‘National Treasure’… Staten Island couple finds neighbor’s stolen safe half-buried on their property.
- Ya know, I remember a time when Ex-Lax Brownies were still just a harmless prank…
- Monkey Business: Mummified primate found in museum air-duct to go on display.
- Family Business: Father-daughter pair get college degrees at same time. Kudos, grads!
- Stupid* Pet Tricks: Looks like now selfies have gone to the dogs, too... *Stupid being the tricks, not the pups.
Weird News is compiled with assistance from news-aggregator Orbusmax.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 5/13: Jamestown settlers arrive, 1607; Polk declares Mexican War, 1846; Grant moves on Jackson, Miss., 1863
- Monday, 5/14: Constitutional Convention assembles, 1787; Lewis & Clark set out from St. Louis, 1804; Skylab launched, 1973
- Tuesday, 5/15: Adams moves Federal Government to D.C., 1800; Cooper’s “Faith 7” spaceflight, 1963
- Wednesday, 5/16: Pres. Johnson acquitted, 1868; Sedition Act passed, 1918 (hint, hint!); first Oscars, 1929
- Thursday, 5/17: NYSE formed, 1792; first Kentucky Derby, 1875; Brown v. Board of Education, 1954
- Friday, 5/18: Lincoln wins GOP nomination, 1860; Apollo 10 launched, 1969; Mt. St. Helens erupts, 1980
- Saturday, 5/19: New England’s Dark Day, 1780; Mexico ratifies Guadelupe Hidalgo peace treaty, 1848; Task Force 16 starts home after Battle of the Coral Sea, 1942
Today’s Birthdays: Statesman William H. Seward, 1801; historian Studs Terkel, 1912; actress Yvonne Craig, 1937; journalist Tucker Carlson, 1969.
Holidays Around the World: Iraq observes Mass Graves Day, South Sudan celebrates National Day and Malaysia has Teachers’ Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for an Olympic Arms KRP Retro AR15 pistol, S&W Hi-Viz .500 Magnum revolver or Springfield SAINT AR15 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a Mossberg 590M Heat Shield shotgun, Aero Precision M4E1 rifle, or Midland Arms 4-shotgun family-pack: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Diamondback Firearms DB9 AM2 Sub-Compact 9mm pistol or DB1065CB 6.5 Creedmoor rifle: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/3vrkx08
- GrabAGun, for an Anderson AM-15 7.62x39mm AR-pattern rifle: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
- Springfield Armory, for a package of a SAINT Edge AR-pattern rifle and XD(M) pistol or an M1A SOCOM 7.62 rifle plus 9mm and .45 XD pistols: http://www.springfield-armory.com/resources/giveaways/
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
Public Service Announcement for “Sanctuary State” Residents
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit http://www.ice.gov for more information.
Quote of the Day
Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.–David T. Wolf
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.”
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.”–Voltaire
Copyright Diamondback, 2017; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY.
Tip Jar – If you like what you read here, please consider hitting one of these and further funding my modest little effort. Thanks! 🙂
- 1-800-Guns And Ammo: http://i.refs.cc/ov8iWvDx?u=1522834489762 – You get 5% off your first order, I get 75 Rewards Points. (~$7.50 store credit)
- Dvor: https://www.dvor.com/s/8l190b – I get $10 in store credit after your first order ships.
- Star Citizen computer game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JRY4-Z754 – You get 5000 credits for the in-game store, and if you buy a $40 game package I get a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff. (Next goal: 5 more RP’s to a free ship.)