A judge in Tennessee ordered that a 7-month-old boy’s name be changed to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and “that one person is Jesus Christ.” To call this judicial over-reach is an understatement. Where in the Constitution does a judge have the right to tell parents what name to give their children?
But this isn’t the only reason this judge is wrong. For example: the judge ruled based on a specific theological belief (i.e. Jesus is the Messiah). This is a clear violation of the “wall of separation between church and state” which can be found nowhere in the Constitution. OK, I guess that means I have to give her a pass on her motivation, but she still exceeded her authority.
But why should even a Christian judge care if a child is named Messiah? Heck, Muslims can name their children Mohammed—they just don’t draw his picture if they want to live—under Sharia law. Besides, Messiah was the fourth most popular name in 2012 according to the Social Security Administration’s annual list of popular baby names.
Her Christian beliefs aside, the judge is also wrong about the name “Messiah” being earned by only one person. Since 2008, America has been “blessed” to have the messiah living in the White House as our President. This has been confirmed many times over the years:
- In February, 2008, Louis Farrakhan declared Obama to be the Black Messiah who would “change” America.
- Also in 2008, members of a Hitler Youth Corps-type of organization march to a chant of “Alpha – Omega.”
- During Obama’s Middle East apology tour in 2009, Newsweek’s Evan Thomas proclaimed that “Obama Is Sort of God.”
- At the 2012 Soul Train Awards, Jamie Foxx gives honor to “our lord and savior, Barack Obama.”
- After his re-election, Newsweek once again refers to him as the messiah, calling his re-election “the second coming.”
- Children are even being taught to pray to Obama.
A brief sampling, but I think it is crystal clear that this judge—who may or may not have the authority to force these parents to change the name of their child—got it wrong.
Jesus isn’t the only Messiah. All hail, Obama!
Posted on The Strident Conservative