We all know the story of Operation Fast and Furious.
It was a secret secret ATF program, overseen heavily at the highest levels at the Department of Justice, which took place between September 2009 and December 2010. ATF agents repeatedly and knowingly allowed individuals working for Mexican cartels to traffic thousands of pistol and semi-automatic rifles, including at least one .50-cal Barrett that ended up in the personal armory of drug lord Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán. The operation ended when Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was murdered and the weapon was traced to this scheme. The purpose seems to have been to create a fact set–the extensive use of weapons bought in the United States by straw purchasers by Mexican cartels–as a way of stampeding Congress into enacting more restrictive gun laws.
In the ensuing investigation by Congress, Department of Justice actively obstructed any attempt to find out what had happened and eventually Attorney General Eric “Obama’s wingman” Holder was cited for criminal contempt of Congress. If this is to be believed, people who reported the gun-walking to DOJ were threatened with indictment.
Notice our issue with #FastAndFurious, we seeked help and received a letter of threat when trying to expose the gun running issue of our FFL being forged by ATF and CI. We asked @RepPeteKing to help. Nothing from his side, we provided all doc's to him too. pic.twitter.com/LjPn8aSvgO
— Wesley Felix (@wesleyfelixpsi) March 6, 2018
This would be the same Eric Holder who has been bragging about the scandl-free Obama administration and rendering judgment on Trump and his Justice Department.
With the change of administrations, there had been hope that this travesty might be fully investigated. Unfortunately, Jeff Sessions seemed very reluctant to actually take a look at any of the blatant wrongdoing of Justice.
I met with AG Sessions to get the Fast & Furious documents. He said NO and decided to let it continue to play out in court. Frustrating and disappointing to say the least. @realDonaldTrump #FastAndFurious https://t.co/0rRaSAskC8
— Jason Chaffetz (@jasoninthehouse) March 3, 2018
Tuesday, Brian Terry’s brother, Kent, was on FoxNews to make a plea for reopening the case
During an interview with Fox and Friends Tuesday, the brother of slain Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry called on the Trump administration to reopen the investigation into the operation and to release previously withheld documents.
“We need to find out the truth, exactly what happened, how it happened, why it happened. We need Mr. Trump, President Trump, to unseal the documents, reverse executive privilege so that we know what happened, and that we can hold the people accountable that are responsible,” Kent Terry said.
And now the dam seems to have broken:
This is nothing but good news. The people involved in this debacle need to be publicly named. If possible, they need to be prosecuted. If there was an intimidation of witnesses, that definitely needs prosecution. But most of all, people need to understand exactly the level their government is willing to stoop to in order to achieve a policy end.