Harry Reid: “…ANARCHISTS! Anarchists roaming the halls!”
No doubt leering at the staff, too:
Reid (D-Nev.) said Tea Party Republicans are preventing progress on an energy efficiency bill by offering amendments on ObamaCare and other unrelated issues.
“We’re diverted totally from what this bill is about. Why? Because the anarchists have taken over,” Reid said on the Senate floor. “They’ve taken over the House and now they’ve taken over the Senate.
“People who don’t believe in government — and that’s what the Tea Party is all about — are winning, and that’s a shame.”
Actually, what that is is a lie. On a variety of levels:
- Anarchists – as even the most cursory review of the antiwar movement, anti-globalization movement, Black Bloc perpetual rioting, and/or the Occupy fiasco would demonstrate – would be defecating on the walls and molesting the statuary. The actual designation of most of the folks who ran with Tea Party support would be ‘bourgeoisie.’
- If the Tea Party had taken over the Senate, we’d have a new Senate Majority Leader. The current one is completely useless.
- If the Tea Party had taken over the House, defunding Obamacare would be on the front burner.
- David Vitter (the primary person who is quote-unquote ‘preventing progress’) is not actually a member of the Tea Party in any way, shape, or form. He is, however, completely correct to insist that Congressional staffers should suffer just as much under Obamacare as the rest of us.
- I can assure Harry Reid: the Tea Party does in fact believe in government. They are absolutely certain that it exists, largely because people like Harry Reid do their best to shove it into every aspect of American life.
I hope that these clarifications help the Senate Majority Leader. Because, upon reflection… possibly Harry Reid didn’t actually lie; he could just simply be confused. He’s a little bit young for that, but I understand that boxers are higher-risk for that sort of thing.
Moe Lane (crosspost)