Donald Trump is no fan of National Anthem kneeling by members of the National Football League. Today he reiterated his thoughts on the matter in response to changing rules.
On Wednesday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell released a statement regarding new regulations for would-be protesters on the field. The new policy statement mandates the following:
1. All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
2.The Game Operations Manual will be revised to remove the requirement that all players be on the field for the anthem.
3. Personnel who choose not to stand for the anthem may stay in the locker room or in a similar location off the field until after the anthem has been performed.
4. A club will be fined by the League if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
5. Each club may develop its own work rules, consistent with the above principles, regarding its personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
6. The commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.
Trump told Fox & Friends host Brian Kilmeade that the NFL “did the right thing” in requiring on-field players to stand for “The Star-Spangled Banner.” He also minced no words about whether dissenting players should remain in the U.S.:
“I don’t think people should be staying in the locker rooms, but still I think it’s good. You have to stand proudly for the National Anthem, or you shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there. Maybe you shouldn’t be in the country. You have to stand proudly for the National Anthem.”
"You have to stand proudly for the National Anthem. You shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't be there. Maybe they shouldn't be in the country…the NFL owners did the right thing" -President @realDonaldTrump pic.twitter.com/bt36t4EX5u
— FOX & friends (@foxandfriends) May 24, 2018
It’s easy to appreciate the candor of President Trump’s message. If those enjoying massive success thanks to the unparalleled opportunity of America — made possible by a thriving justice — don’t appreciate it, then maybe they should go full-protest and get out. However, there is something even more foundational to the entire issue: what Colin Kaepernick and those subsequent to him have protested does not exist. Despite the media’s narrative, white police officers are not targeting black people en masse.
Thanks to the uninformed protests of the ignorant, the NFL got knocked to its knees to the tune of its worst ratings in twenty years. Finally, it appears to be admitting the error of its ways, in terms of its permissiveness. Now if only it would point out that the entire premise was false.
Do you think this step is sufficient to begin repairing the league? Is the option to stay in the locker room a weak move? Will you watch this season?
Check out more sports insanity in my coverage of the WNBA supporting the abortion of potential female athletes.
And show the world how cool you are by following Alex Parker on Twitter.