Normally, school board races go virtually unnoticed, but what has been normal about politics lately? Not much. On that note, the the race for Los Angeles Unified School District Board is attracting celebrity attention- and incredible amounts of money. On May 16, the contest will end in a runoff, and the culmination of the most expensive school board race in American history, with spending topping $11 million.
- Senator and presidential contender Bernie Sanders (endorsed Steve Zimmer and Imelda Padilla)
- former U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan (endorsed Nick Melvoin and Kelly Gonez)
- former Senator Barbara Boxer (endorsed Nick Melvoin and Kelly Gonez)
- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti (endorsed Steve Zimmer)
- actor and director Tim Robbins (endorsed Steve Zimmer)
- Singer John Legend (endorsed Nick Melvoin and Kelly Gonez)
- “Downton Abbey” star Allen Leech (endorsed Nick Melvoin)