Photo via LinkedIn
The suspect in the deadly attack in Toronto that killed 10 people and injured 15 has been identified.
CBS has the details:
CBS News sources identified the suspect as Alek Minassian, 25, and obtained a photo of him from social media Monday. Officials announced he’s from Richmond Hill — a town in Ontario, Canada. They said that the suspect was not know previously to police.
Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders increased the death toll from nine during a press conference Monday night, noting that one of the victims died at a hospital.
Asked if there was any evidence of a connection to international terrorism, the chief said only, “Based on what we have there’s nothing that has it to compromise the national security at this time.”
They cannot say that it’s not terrorism at this point, but there was no doubt it was not an accident:
U.S. law enforcement sources told CBS News that the incident appears to be a deliberate act. Witnesses said the driver was moving fast and appeared to be acting deliberately.
Witness Peter Kang told CTV News that the driver did not seem to make any effort to stop.
“If it was an accident he would have stopped,” Kang said. “But the person just went through the sidewalk. He could have stopped.”
NEW: 25-year-old Alek Minassian identified as the suspected driver who ran down pedestrians in Toronto, killing at least 9, sources confirm to CBS News. https://t.co/SMF8S8GCbN pic.twitter.com/hJ9mo7sn7S
— CBS News (@CBSNews) April 23, 2018
RedState will continue to provide updates as they come in.