AP featured image
FILE – In this May 23, 2017, file photo, former CIA Director John Brennan testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington, before the House Intelligence Committee Russia Investigation Task Force. Brennan, the former CIA director and longtime intelligence official, is working on a memoir. Celadon Books, a division of Macmillan Publishers, confirmed to The Associated Press on Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018, that it had a deal with Brennan. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File)

While reports have been that the Durham investigation may be drawing to a close soon, people on the right have been anxious that people behind the actions against the Trump team during the Russia investigation be held accountable.

Barr has said that he anticipates “developments” and a public report from Durham by the end of the summer, and when asked during his testimony before Congress, he said he would not hold off on a report until after the election.

But one signal that it may be coming to an end is that former CIA head John Brennan has reportedly agreed to be interviewed.

From Washington Examiner:

Brennan has acknowledged that he is in the “crosshairs” of the criminal inquiry into the Russia investigation led by Durham. He recently claimed, and the White House acknowledged, that he asked the CIA for his official records, including his personal notes and any classified CIA documents that he had signed to help him write his upcoming memoir, but the agency denied his request.

Last year, the New York Times reported that Durham asked for Brennan’s electronic communications, phone records, and other documents from the CIA, something NBC News confirmed on Wednesday.

Durham was looking at whether there was anything criminal in Brennan’s actions involving the 2017 Intelligence Community Assessment on Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

“There was definitely Russian, uh, interference,” Barr said in June. “I think Durham is looking at the intelligence community’s ICA — the report that they did in December [2016]. And he’s sort of examining all the information that was based on, the basis for their conclusions. So to that extent, I still have an open mind, depending on what he finds.”

They’re also looking at his involvement in the Steele dossier.

In particular, the prosecutor is looking for answers concerning how it was used in the 2017 assessment, why former FBI Director James Comey and his deputy, Andrew McCabe, insisted on it being part of the assessment, how allegations from the dossier ended up in the assessment’s appendix, and whether Brennan misled about the dossier’s use. The prosecutor is also reportedly reviewing Brennan’s handling of a secret source said to be close to the Kremlin, and Durham sought to find out what role that person’s information played in the assessment.

Now if he’s the target, they would leave him for the last to be interviewed because they would want to interview all the other people first to get their stories and see how his matched.

What is perhaps also troubling is the report that they haven’t interviewed either James Comey or Andrew McCabe. Now perhaps that’s wrong, since they seem to not leak out of Durham’s team.

According to Real Clear Politics, Chris Swecker, ex-assistant FBI director, who knows Durham and has worked with him said, “It’s hard to prove criminal intent at their level, and unless there’s a smoking gun, like an email or text, they’ll probably get off with a damning report about their activities.”

But Swecker says he believes Durham has uncovered crimes. “He’s onto something, I’m convinced of it, otherwise he would have folded up his tent by now.”

So who’s left if they’re not targeting these guys? If they just hand us the one guy who lied on the FISA affidavit but not any of the higher ups after all this, people are really going to be furious.