According to a report from the Washington Examiner citing investigative reporter John Solomon’s solid sources at the Department of Justice, the answer could be yes.
U.S. Attorney John Durham, tapped by Attorney General Bill Barr to investigate the predicate of the Russia collusion probe of Trump’s 2016 campaign, has been notoriously tight-lipped about what exactly he’s uncovered.
U.S. Rep. Devin Nunes, ranking Republican member of the House Intelligence Committee and an early player in what would manifest into Durham’s full blown investigation, noted last month the lack of leaks from Durham’s team was a good sign.
“The one good thing so far that we’ve learned about this Durham investigation is that Durham isn’t talking. People on his team aren’t talking,” Nunes said. “I think that’s a good sign that this is a real, legitimate investigation that’s occurring.”
Solomon told Fox Business’ Lou Dobbs Tuesday that he’s seeing activity from DOJ that indicates Durham’s investigative team “is trying to bring those first indictments, and I would look for a time around Labor Day to see the first sort of action by the Justice Department.”
Solomon said he is hearing from defense lawyers and people “on the prosecution side” that complications with the coronavirus pandemic are “slowing down” the grand jury process.
“But everything I’m seeing on the ground, real reporting, suggests that there’s an ongoing criminal investigation intent on bringing indictments and possibly some plea bargains. The first action, the first evidence of it in the public will probably be around Labor Day. That’s an awful long time to wait, but I do see activity that looks like they’re building a criminal case right now,” he said.
There’s a chance, he noted, that the flurry of activity will be a lot of sound and fury that ultimately signifies nothing, but he’s aware of “a lot of activity consistent with building prosecutions and preparing for criminal plea bargains.”